Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough important hormones. Women are more likely to have hypothyroidism. Untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as lipid disorders, obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.
- Feeling cold and/or cold hands and feet
- Dry skin
- Unexplained weight gain
- Puffy face
- Muscle weakness
- Elevated blood cholesterol level
- Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
- Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
- Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
- Thinning hair
- Slowed heart rate
- Impaired memory
Thyroid function tests are available to diagnose hypothyroidism, and treatment of hypothyroidism with synthetic thyroid hormone is safe and effective.