These patients would typically be identified and referred by their primary care physician for consultation but may also be self referred. A typical referral might be a patient with one or more of the following:
- A significant family history of heart disease with “normal” lipid profile
- Abnormal lipid profile
- Diabetes/ pre-diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Medication induced lipid abnormalities
- Non-responders to lipid lowering therapy/ intolerance to medications
- Pediatric patients with obesity, cholesterol abnormalities or prediabetes
- Very high risk patients (10 year risk > 30%) who have already had a heart attack or stroke and wish to aggressively prevent subsequent events
- Need for multidrug therapy
- High cholesterol but no other risk factors in a patient who does not want to take medications, advanced testing can help determine how high risk they truly are.
The diagnostic tests, medical interventions and management are tailored to meet the individual needs of the patient and the referring physician. Services available:
- Laboratory evaluation using the latest in advanced testing to determine genetic risk markers for heart disease, stroke or diabetes
- Laboratory evaluation for diseases that can contribute to increased cardiovascular risks, stoke and diabetes, such as, insulin resistance, hypothyroid, kidney disease,etc.
- Carotid Intima Media Thickness available to further assess cardiovascular risks (for more information please see CIMT)
- Office visit with board certified lipid specialist that includes interpretation of laboratory testing and treatment recommendations.
- Lifestyle counseling including dietary and exercise prescriptions with unlimited access to a Registered Dietician at no cost to you, either by office consult, telephone consult, and/or email
- Weight management
- Support classes (please see Calendar of Events)
Consultation and medical management services are specific to managing and reducing cardiac risk. Patients are required to have a primary care physician for their routine medical needs and ongoing medical management.